Is That Cat Lost or Not?
By Dorothée Pâris Pasturel • 12 April 2022
You’re probably familiar with the many Facebook posts about cats wandering around in people’s yards, titled, “Is this your cat?”
Rain or shine, many cats wander around our neighbourhoods. Cats are opportunists at heart, and may even go so far as to beg for food from friendly neighbours.
‼️ However, we must be careful not to remove a cat from its environment while trying to rescue it. There is a strong possibility that the one you’re seeing already belongs to someone and is just walking around.
Here are some clues that can help you determine if this cat really needs your help:
- Does it have a nice coat?
- Does it look healthy?
- Does it look in good body condition?
If the answer to all of these questions is yes, it’s quite possible that it’s just a visitor. Therefore, it is best not to feed it or bring it to a shelter. It will return to its home on its own.
- If the animal comes to your property often, you can also put a collar with a message inserted in a small capsule, to know if it has a family.
- It is also possible to check if the cat has a microchip at the vet’s office or in a shelter.
- Do not hesitate to ask your neighbours if any of them know the cat.
This way, we avoid separating cats from their families and overcrowding the shelters.