Report a Problem

If a situation requires urgent action, call 911.

Animal Neglect and Cruelty


Animal neglect refers to a situation where an animal is kept in unacceptable circumstances or is not receiving proper care.


  • An animal left outside in the cold, in the heat or without shelter to protect it from the sun or bad weather
  • An animal that does not have an adequate supply of food or fresh water
  • An injured animal that does not receive necessary veterinary care
  • An animal whose heavily entangled fur causes it discomfort or injuries

Only an inspector from the MAPAC (Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation du Québec) can make a finding of neglect before initiating proceedings. If any action is taken by someone other than the inspector, proceedings in response to a case of neglect cannot be initiated.

Regardless whether the case concerns a pet or a farm animal, you can file a complaint by contacting the MAPAQ at 1 844 ANIMAUX (264-6289).

If the situation requires urgent action, dial 911.


Cruelty is an act whereby an animal is mistreated, hit or beaten. The Criminal Code applies in cases of animal cruelty.

For example:

  • Someone who voluntarily causes pain, suffering or injury to an animal, or allows such to occur
  • Someone who encourages animal fighting or harassment in any way, participates in fighting or harassment or is present at such activity

Whether the case concerns a pet, a bird or a farm animal, you can file a complaint by calling 911.


When the behaviour of a pet is a source of concern, start by discussing the situation with the pet’s owner. A respectful conversation can often lead to a solution.

You can also ask for help from a citizen mediation service:

  • Citizens of Longueuil: 450-647-9024, ext. 230
  • Citizens of Boucherville: 450-449-0144
  • Citizens of Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville: 450-645-2995
  • Citizens of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu : 1 800 268-7072

If you don’t manage to find a solution, you can contact your city’s police department.

You can also view the section on nuisance wildlife.

Emergencies – Dangerous or Injured Animals

Emergencies – Dangerous or Injured Animals

If you live in Longueuil, Boucherville, Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Saint-Alexandre or Saint-Blaise-sur-Richelieu and you’re dealing with a dangerous or injured pet, call 911.

If you are seeking assistance regarding a wild animal that is injured or acting unusual, contact the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs at 1-844-523-6738.