Volunteer – Adoption Counsellor (18 years old +)
The Adoption Counsellor is responsible for having animals adopted into attentive and responsible homes. He or she must work in a team with the other staff members.
The Adoption Counsellor must at all times obey the safety rules put in place to reduce the risk of accidents as well as the biosecurity procedures established to minimize the spread of disease and infection.
Like all employees of Proanima, the Adoption Counsellor must respect the organization’s mission and code of ethics at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Familiarize yourself with all animals put up for adoption.
- Refer clients to animals compatible with their lifestyle and ensure an ideal match.
- Review adoption requests made by clients.
- Advise new adopters on animals’ adaptation to their new homes.
- Inform new adopters about the responsibilities involved in adopting a pet.
- Fill out all adoption-related administrative documents.
- Assist the adoption team with various tasks when there are no adopters on hand.
Skills and Other Requirements
- Good general knowledge of various animal species and breeds
- Comfortable with all type of animals
- Knowledge of animal behaviour
- Knowledge of the basic care required by every animal species available for adoption
- Ability to multi-task
- Good customer service skills
- Highly developed critical thinking skills, sound judgment and good analytical abilities
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary team
- Ability to adapt to change
- Good organizational skills
Education level: High school
Languages (spoken): French and English
Languages (written): French and English