Let’s Talk About Declawing
By Dorothée Pâris Pasturel • 25 January 2021
Facts About Declawing
Despite the cultural evolution on the subject, declawing continues to be freely and often used in Quebec. However, it is important to know several facts about declawing recognized by many professionals in the veterinary and behavioural fields. In addition to the pain the cat feels after the surgery, declawing can lead to several harmful consequences for her health, as well as cause behavioural problems such as uncleanliness or the loss of bite inhibition.
Even if many people who have declawed their cat have never experienced problems, this practice, banned in 37 countries around the world, must be considered unethical with respect to the animal’s well-being.
Tips for Living Well With Claws
In order to avoid having to resort to declawing, here are three tips to easily manage kitty’s claws:
- Train your cat to have her claws cut. If your cat is difficult to handle, take it easy and go step by step:
- choose a time when she is calm, almost asleep.
- Touch her paw very briefly and then give her a treat right after.
- Repeat this step.
- When she’s comfortable and not paying attention to your hand, grab her paw briefly. Then reward her with a treat.
- Repeat this step.
- Press lightly on her paw, as if to unsheathe her claws, again, very briefly. Then reward her.
- Do this process gradually until you can cut her claws, one by one.
- Above all, take your time, spread all this over several days, five minutes at a time.
- If you are not comfortable with this, call a professional who will cut her claws, either in a grooming salon or at home.
- Put one or two scratching posts in your home:
- place them at the territory entrances: in the house’s entrance hall, at the bottom of the stairs, next to the couch, etc.
- Choose a stable post; it should not move.
- The material does not matter, but cats often appreciate rope, cardboard, carpet…
- If your cat tends to scratch the furniture, cover it with aluminum foil and place a post of the same material next to it.
If you have other problems, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice.